Note: All links going to other websites will open in the same window. Use the Back button to return to our site.
- Computer Workstation Ergonomics: Self-Assessment Checklist (.pdf) A simple self-assessment of your own workplace prepared by the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
- Computer Workstation e-Tools Evaluation Checklist. This e-tool is a checklist for assessing your workstation environment with links to examples and guidlines for purchasing equipment to ensure a comfortable work area. By the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) of the U. S. Department of Labor. New
- Office ergonomics: Self assessment worksheet (.pdf) provided by Oregon State University. New
- 6 Surprising Bad Practices That Hurt Dyslexic Users Web accessibility doesn't only extend to color blind users, but dyslexic users too.
- AbilityNet is a UK charity helping disabled adults and children use computers and the Internet by adapting and adjusting their technology.
- Accessible Techcomm All about accessibility and technical communication
- Accessify tools, wizards, articles and tutorials on Web Accessibility for the conscientious web developer
- Accessible Web Design online course offered by the International Webmasters Association
- Accessible Web Site Design from W3C.
- Recent Articles from the Nielsen Norman Group World Leaders in Research-Based User Experience
- Web Usability articles and videos by the Nielsen Norman Group.
- “ALPHABET SOUP: A web designer's journey to standards and accessibility by Randal Rust
- Apple® Accessibility Features Vision built into all Macintosh computers provides adjustable keyboard, an ergonomic mouse, CloseView screen magnification software, Easy Access system software (StickyKeys, SlowKeys, MouseKeys), electronic documentation, key-repeat disable, text-to-speech synthesis and voice recognition (PlainTalk), sticky mouse, and visual alert cues. The VoiceOver spoken English interface for Mac OS X is a fully integrated, built-in screen reader technology providing access to the Macintosh through speech, audible cues, and keyboard navigation.
- Apple Mac OS X Accessibility Features OS X brings universal accessibility to the fore and allows users plenty of scope for controlling the Mac's core applications.
- BBC: My Web, My Way [Archived site—no longer maintained.] aims to help people with the tools and understanding that will enable them to make the most of the world-wide web (not just bbc.co.uk), whatever their ability or disability. The site provides advice and help to all those people who would benefit from making changes to their browser, operating system, or computer to be able to view the Web in a more accessible way. The site is not only for those with disabilities (visual, hearing, motor, cognitive or learning impairments) but also, for example, for those people with minor vision impairments who would not consider themselves to have a disability. The site is maintained through a partnership between bbc.co.uk and AbilityNet, a leading UK computing and disability charity. It is based on AbilityNet's original "My Computer, My Way" site.
- Canadian Web Standards New
Web Standards for the Government of Canada. [Note: As of 12Dec23: The Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat is currently reviewing the Standard on Web Accessibility. However, as part of a commitment to an accessible and barrier-free Canada, it is recommended that organizations adopt the Harmonized European Standard (EN 301 549) (English only) and adhere to guidance available in the Guideline on Making Information Technology Usable by All.]
- Cognitive Disabilities Part 1: We Still Know Too Little, and We Do Even Less
- Cognitive Disabilities Part 2: Conceptualizing Design Considerations
- Creating accessible content: 10 tips for web writers. (.pdf) from 4Syallables.com
- CSS Zen Garden demonstrates the power and flexibility of CSS for formatting the visual presentation of web pages.
- CSS Float and Clear Properties, a YouTube video by Steve Griffith – Prof3ssorSt3v3 demonstrates how to float images to the left or right, how to flow text around an image, and to use the "clear" property to reset the flow of the next paragraph around the floated image. New
- Deque Systems accessibility products and services and a "Guide to Digital Accessibility"
- Designing with Web Standards the Daily Report from Jeffrey Zeldman, provides Web design news and information.
- Divya Manian Web Development archives of her writing from 2007 to 2013. Divya works at Apple as a Manager of Internet Technologies & Frameworks EPMs. She manages a team of project managers that drive projects in Internet Technologies & Frameworks org: UIKit, AppKit, Accessibility. Previously, she worked at Adobe as a Product Manager for Photoshop, working on better Export Options. She has been a contributor on HTML5 Please / HTML5 Boilerplate / W3Fools / Move the web forward.
- Enabling Accessibility in Flex applications [UK]
- Design Ergonomics at Loughborough University [UK]